Saturday 30 November 2013

Feroz Khan


My latest epic marathon of a quilt top has come to an end.

You may remember I started by hand-piecing honeycomb shapes.



My original inspiration had come from here.


For a while I had been wanting to make a kind of old-fashioned, antique looking quilt but with a mixture of traditional and modern fabric.

Just because really. A kind of modern heirloom quilt I think.

So I let it grow and grow, making up rounds as I went along.


And then in the last few weeks it grew and grew until it didn't want to grow any more.



If you're making your own medallion quilt there are ways around making sure each border fits. I mentioned in the previous post about this quilt how to break the Flying Geese blocks with larger pieces of fabric so you don't have to worry about fitting a particular sized block into a particular sized border.

I was also faced with the same dilemma with the final border in this quilt.



I could get my measurements to work for the shorter horizontal borders but for the longer vertical borders I was one inch too short.


There are 38 individual pieces in the longer border so all I did was piece eight of those pieces with a seam allowance that was 1/8th off the magic 1/4 inch...if that all makes sense. So cumulatively, that added up to the extra one inch I needed. And with the eight blocks randomly interspersed throughout each longer border, you'd never know.

Linking up to Finish It Up Friday even though it's Saturday


Next stop - the long, slow road of hand quilting this one as it's a bit of a whopper and I don't fancy wrestling it through the sewing machine.

I hope you like it Feroz Khan because this is your last chance to comment. Your inane spammy drivel was just the push I needed to switch to registered users only for comments.

Enjoy :-)

Previous posts about this quilt are here and here and an explanation on hand-piecing the centre is here
to clear up any misunderstandings that this is EPP...which it's not!

32 comments:

  1. Absolutely brilliant. The hours represented here.....sigh. A real labour of love. I have that quilt in a book I think ( your inspiration) . I remember wanting to try it but only got the centre done. Will look forward to seeing how you quilt this. Enjoy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it. You are so right about how to fit the borders. This one is going to be a lovely handstitching project for you too. I think you will find that the spam clears almost completely up, it almost totally did when I made that switch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your quilt top finish... wish you were hand quilting this beauty ! Thanks for sharing the journey with us :) Hope this gets rid of your spam :) Kathi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful! It deserves to be hand quilted! Hahaha Feroz! Bye spam!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely! The best quilts are the ones we listen to and allow to evolve in their own way, don't you think?
    So impressed with all your hand-work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely beautiful! Really lovely balance of light and dark values from the middle thru the borders. Can't wait to see it hand quilted!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I shall keep my spammy drivel to myself then; sheesh, who will tell me more about this topic, it was just what I was looking for, I even told my cousin?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just followed your blog! Please come follow us back! Thanks.

    quackadoodlequilt.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. You've achieved the antique look beautifully.
    Hurrah for hand piecing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! Having just started hand piecing, I'm in absolute awe ...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your quilts and the fact that you hand piece. Super impressed! I've read several times your method and am practicing. Enjoy the hand quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow - and now you are going to hand quilt it - what a legend. I guess it will keep you snug over winter while you are doing it:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the muted palette of this quilt, especially that bronzy-gold colour you have used. Looking forward to seeing it quilted, it will be stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is amazing. The photos really give an idea of how it is put together

    ReplyDelete
  15. Really really lovely! I switched to comment moderation for posts older than a week and that fixed the spammers.

    ReplyDelete
  16. this is delightful, what book is it that you got the idea from please, think I might just need to buy it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You’ve managed to catch the antique feel with lots and lots of different fabrics and that’s what I always love about your quilts!
    I understand the spam issues, though I never have any on my Wordpress blog!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love it so much - the difference in value in the centre is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've been following your process on this quilt!! Wow, its gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh it's just utterly beautiful. I love how you've sneaked leopard print in there and it still totally has the feel of an antique quilt. The idea of an old biddy from the quilt police being rather horrified about that pleases me to no end. Adding a little extra to the seam allowance here and there is brilliant! I have done a similar thing actually with my Midnight at the Oasis quilt. I know the quarter inch seam on my sewing machine is just slightly over a quarter inch, and if I move my needle one notch to the right it's slightly under a quarter inch. I have been sewing some seams in a border with the needle in the centre and some with it over one notch to the right - seems to be working to make everything fit together and you absolutely cannot tell once it's all stitched together.

    ReplyDelete
  21. There's something wonderful about being able to make up a medallion quilt as you go along - feels really creative! Love the colours in yours and those flying geese are gorgeous. Can't wait to see how you quilt this one. Please don't tell me you're planning to have it done by Christmas though!!! Stephie @ www.dawnchorusstudio.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh your flying geese fit tip is genius. I love this quilt top - good luck with the hand quilting :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. It's beautiful and some ideas similar to what I have in mind for my next LV quilt. But mine won't be as heirloom quality beautiful as this!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love it so much it it is on the WOW pinboard!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'm catching up on blog reading. I just love what you have done with this quilt. Almost incredibly beautiful! However, I do believe it. You do such gorgeous work!

    ReplyDelete

01 09 10